View Single Post

Day 14-Narrows to Copperfield CG, OR 278 miles

In the morning, my trusty man-servant, Ralfie, returns from washing the tea dishes-

Dawn breaks bright and clear in the Boise Narrows. Last time I was here I went north from Prairie, ID. This year after breakfast in Prairie, we headed NW back into and along more of the Narrows. Very pleasing vistas all along this road while driving beside the river, on the rim climbing out for breakfast, cruising on a level bench half way up, descending to a bridge crossing or climbing back out again-

As we approached Boise we were on the Oregon Trail for a few miles before heading north on ID 21 to Idaho City and Lowman-

We went up to Lowman because last time we were there it was raining and nasty but seemed like it would be a fun road when dry. Well no pics as it was trying to rain again. It is indeed a fun road.

West to ID 55 and Sucksville. As we rode toward McCall, ID the traffic was bad. Spent an hour passing cars, trucks and horestrailers without every finding any open road. Took a break in Cascade, ID as frustration was setting in for both of us. Oddly enough I had an alternative route in the GPS over to Indian Valley and beyond to Hells Canyon. I had planned on going along the Snake R. to Lewiston but the traffic was too much.

Unfortunately the forest road from Cascade to Indian Valley was covered with fresh deep gravel for the first 15 of 40 miles as you go up the pass. On the west side it was just dusty driving by the Little Weiser River. By the time we got to Cambridge, ID both my shoulders were hurting from sawing the handle bars back and forth, even though I had my Cortisone right before I left home. Also we needed supplies as Ralf had lost his lunch again along the river. We needed cold drinks too as it was hot. No pics, it was not fun. Found out there was a rodeo in McCall and some country fairs too.

One of those days that was up-down-up. Always good to end on an up at the Copperfield CG on the OR side of the Snake River. Ralf and I have both stayed here before. Nice grass, river swimming, showers and a $0.50 12oz. Pepsi machine across the street at the church. Not too bad-

* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)