View Single Post
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefn1 View Post
my feeling is millennials did not grow up in a car culture like many did in the 60s and 70s learning to wrench on their own cars. Yes they place value on experiences, but they are also inherently cheap. Spending time in a garage working on an old car doesn't seem like the experiences they are looking for and paying a mechanic to maintain a hobby car that may rarely see use like their daily driver seems unlikely knowing their current predispositions
how many people do you know that can drive a car from the early part of the century, crank starting, adjusting timing while driving etc. if my life depended on getting in a model A and driving away, id be dead. i think the same may ring true in the future.
The whole issue of millennials being gearheads largely revolves around education and income level, from what little I've seen.

Every time I take my car to the local cars & coffee, I see a lot of millennials and hipsters roaming around. They love cars; they just can't afford what they love yet. Many of them drive Audis and BMWs. They tell me a 911 is what they aspire to.

My son is an electrical engineer and all his friends are mechanical engineers. All of them are big-time gearheads. All are into German cars in a major way. My son built computers in middle school. I thought he wouldn't be into cars based on that. All that changed when he got into college and bought a car. Now he owns two cars (and he's still in grad school) and angling to acquire a 911 E when he graduates

The tuner scene here in Detroit consists mostly of millennials.

I say, don't believe what the media is trying to sell about the demise of the car hobby.
While the type of cars that are prized have changed (that happens naturally as the old guys die off) the culture is still thriving from what I've seen.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)