View Single Post

Mike B
I have 17" cup wheels on my 1989 944 turbo S. I also have a set of 18" BBS LM wheels that I no longer use because the eccentric bolts fractured while I had them on, and thats a fact.
I guess I am the only one around having problems whereas everyone else is immune.
The factory bulletins are as you said outdated but then so is this particular model of Porsche. How would you expect the factory to "update" information on an "outdated" car? A 1993 bulletin for a up to 1991 model, I would say is not bad. Plus all problems should have surfaced by now for a car of this vintage anyway.
If my understanding is correct, you felt one should be safe as long as the rolling diameter of the tyre/wheel combination remains the same. However I cannot agree because stress on mounting components are more of a result of shock involved, hence the lower the tyre profile, the higher the shock and stress on these components.
Should the owner insist on fitting 18" wheels, I would recommend using them on track. Track cars are inspected more often and stress in components can be readily identified. Whereas most street cars do not get an inspection after every hard run though the likeliness of breakage is lower.
Lastly, to answer your question of Porsche ownership I also do own a 1992 965, a 1993 964 C2 and has owned a 1984 944 N/A, a 1989 928S4, a 993 powered 1989 911 Carrera and a 1988 turbo bodied cabrio in the past. I think I do qualify as a Porsche owner.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)