View Single Post

Thumbs down Condition worsens.... Help!!

What is going on here?

The Symptoms:

_ The car stumbles when the gas is pressed. The idle is ok, once it gets past a point, the car gets real power and takes off. The RPM that it stays dead at is getting higher. It only does this if you 'punch it. If you ease onto the gas, the rpms just go up no problem.

What I have looked at / done

_ Gas quality. Have tried several stations and grades. This did not affect it. I have tried both injector cleaner and the stuff that takes water out of the gas. The fuel filter is rather new < 4000 miles.

_ Vacume lines. The lines seem to be ok. I have noticed that if I take the small line off at the big one to the brakes, the rpms go up. If I unplug the vac line anywhere else, nothing happens.

_ The air filter is clean

_ The problem has seemed from time to time to be related to how well the brakes were working, but there was not enough of a collaborating between the two. This would make me suspect the vacuume system again.

Current Ideas

_ Fuel pressure regulator. I think the loss of power is related to the lag between air and gas getting to the engine. (CIS) This could also be related to the fuel distributor, but it works ok at rpms over a certain point. What happens when your FPR goes out?

_ Something in the vacuume system, like the vacuume advance on the timing. Not nessisaraly caused by a bad distributor.

_ What do you guys think? This seems to be an odd problem! The car is weak enough at low power that it is almost undrivable.

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 10-01-2003, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)