View Single Post

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
My "ReFuze" panel upgrade adventure

To continue where I left off,

After disconnecting the top and bottom wires and numbering the power lines, I carefully removed the OEM 8 fuse block. Once removed, I compared them to assure proper alignment.

Once that was confirmed it was the same, I began addressing the wires I found where due to a variety of reasons, age and or corrosion or poor disconnecting on my part, they needed to be addressed. Since I didn't have the proper tool or ferrules, I improvised by cutting the wires back to find clean copper and then soldered the ends. It was my intent to make the ends a solid connection.

Once that was done, I then used a brass wire wheel and my Dremel tool on the lowest speed setting and went to work cleaning the connectors.

Cleaned connector on the right, old and crusty on the left.

Obvious signs of corrosion in the connector.

Here is my safety advisory: when I was using the brass wire wheel, I was holding the connector in my fingers. The low speed setting wasn't an issue and I could gauge the pressure being put on the connector and wires.

After things were cleaned up, I began reassembly of the block. For me, I found it easier to install the lower wires first, going in sequence to my numbering. It allowed me to make sure I got all of the correct wires in the proper fuse. After the lower wires were installed, I then began in the upper set. To make this process easier, I numbered and removed the five relays to allow for a little more wiggle room. Everything come together nice and easy in the 8 fuse block. When I finished this, I used the provided longer 4M x 20mm mounting screws. Initially due to the different OEM block and the new ReFuze block, alignment was a little off, which was to be expected. I elected to not mount the 8 fuse block until I was completed with the 13 fuse upgrade. This turned out to be a good idea since it allowed me to have a little extra room to manipulate wires if needed.

I then began to work on the longer 13 fuse lock using everything I learned with the smaller one.

I began bundling the multiple connections too and bottom, then took some additional pictures of both upper and lower wires showing the bundles just in case a stray wanders from the zip tie. I then began the careful disconnect sequence and removal of the OEM block then compared the new ReFuze it with the original two piece one, paying attention to the external jumpers. This is where the ReFuze block really shines. Alan, the designer, internally linked these particular fuses together, eliminating the need for external jumpers and potential short points or current loss due to poor connections.

In comparing the OEM with the new one, you can see that they mirror the connections.

The external jumpers that are now contained internally.

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)