Thread: My 912E build.
View Single Post
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWLoosenuts View Post
I get what you are saying now. I can just use the stock 70-71 911 clutch Parts and cable
NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
No problem using that 911 gearbox on this build. It was good enough for a 2.2 S engine, so it’s goid enough for this. No compatibility issues. Just use 70-71 911/914 clutch Parts. You could even use a 74 speedo if you want to stay mechanical.
Matt, the '70-'71 911 clutch used the pull style release arm. You know that Mickey Mouse deal where the bowden tube actually pushed the release arm. That will not work on the '68 box with out some mods. IMO you don't want to use those for anything anyway, AHIK.

As far as the clutch itself goes, it will depend on what flywheel and therefore the pressure plate you have. The '68 and '69 used a 215mm clutch, in '70 it was increased to 225mm. At any rate the '68 trans input shaft is the same as a VW so you have some flexibility as far as what clutch you use. The issue will be how to actuate what ever pressure plate you can get to work.

EDIT: Same thing applies to the '69 trans.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 10-29-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 10-29-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)