View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
Got the timing chain covers off...
Is it recommended to replace the chain?

ALSO... some of the studs came out with the nuts... should I just treat these the same way I do my exhaust studs? *put them back in using double nuts? Or should I replace them as part of the rebuild????

If its anything like the main/rod bearings, the old chain is probably better quality than a new chain .

When you get to the bearings, before you install them, I would highly recommend you goto harbor freight and get their digital 1 inch .00001 accuracy micrometer. $25 or so.

You may find as I did, and based on tons of threads on here - many others have found too, that your old bearings are thicker/better than new ones (assuming no damage to them)...

Also, scour ebay, I bought an awesome $300 bore indicator, professional grade, for $60. The things works great, super reproducible results... The cheap bore indicators most guys buy only read to .0005... Which is not great from what I gather. A clearance of .002 and .0025-.003 is pretty broad...

Good luck

Last edited by bpu699; 11-03-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)