View Single Post
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Yep just put the studs back in. The chain cover studs are non-critical studs that are under virtually no stress.

I don't think you necessarily need to replace the chains. Your tensioners show minimal extension and I don't see any significant wear marks on the side of the large camshaft sprocket on the right bank of cylinders (4-5-6). So your chains appear to be running nice and parallel. Plus it's good practice to replace chains and sprockets together, or else you just accelerate the wear on whatever's new- in this case the chain. You will want to replace the ramps since the plastic can get old and brittle.

Bo,

I didn't add up what it cost to rebuild it. I just slowly gathered replacement parts. Some new, some used and reconditioned. Still isn't back together yet. Not much urgency on my part to go racing with nobody. I'd rather fart around with the street car in the garage, apparently.

I will agree that decent high resolution measuring tools are nice to have on hand to check your work. We're at a point now where we apparently can't trust much when it comes to bearings and they're critical to making the engine function properly.

Regarding the oil pressure, I don't know what to say about that. I was fortunate to have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the dash so I could see what kind of oil pressure was coming from the top of the engine where the low oil pressure warning light gets its oil source. However, after the 1st rebuild, with a 964 oil pump, I had noticeably less pressure on the gauge. Just over 60 vs. the previous just over 80. I think that was attributed to the lack of a bypass spring spacer that the later 3.6 cases typically use. But never was able to do a test to confirm pressure w/out vs. with the spring spacer.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 11-03-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)