View Single Post
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
What happened?
I can shed some light on this - I bought this core motor and I'll be starting a thread on the Engine building forum. I got it delivered in my garage for 5k. I think it was a fair price for a (delivered) longblock, fan, shroud, what looks to be a brand new alternator, dizzy, and yoke/cross bar.

I've been following 3.0 and 3.2 sales for about 2 years. I've seen a few great deals but they go quick. Sans intake and exhaust were perfect for me as I have thick flange SSI (if i stay stock -I'm street so low end torque is great) which will work if I stay stock, or I'll switch to bigger headers and no heat as I live in Vegas. As for intake, I've been wanting to do a build with ITB/EFI. I'm under no guise that this is going to be cheap or easy.

I was concerned about the tracking of the motor, but taking off the valve covers, so far it looks pretty good inside. No pitting on the cams and case itself is relatively clean and leak free aside from #5 which had oil coming out the head -so I'm guessing broken rings (smoking problem OP spoke of) and OP's mechanic verified low compression on 5.

And Fred is correct, the 2.7 dizzy doesn't belong here due to excessive backlash from the different sized pinion gear. On a different note, hey Fred..can you send me some grenade pins?

The price paid seemed high for a core, until you start hunting for 3.2's. Rebuilt motors are 16k with core on ebay. There's another really nice 3.2 for sale here by Syncroid for 18k I think. Complete motors with DME etc seem to come up and go for about 12k.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 11-09-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)