View Single Post
Old E21 BUT it may be a BMW Thing! Play in the Left Front Wheel?

I Have a 82-911sc and usually post on that Forum, But I hope one of you Guys May have Experienced this Problem.

My 1982 E21 (260,000 Miles with New Koni’s, New OEM Steering Rack, Tie Rods, Grease Fittings on the Ball Joints And Tie Rods AND LARGE Greased washers on Both Sides Of the Swaybar / Brake Reaction Rod where it goes through the Lower Control Arm)

has a Loose Sound coming from the Left front when the wheel goes over a Depression in the Road.

It is Not Lowered or Loose Ball Joint or Tie Rod End or Shock Play or Strut End Play.

Holding the wheel at the 12 o’clock position (On the Ground and a Jack under the Control Arm) while pulling and pushing in and out, there is a slight bit of Play AND you can hear the Knock Of 2 pieces hitting each other.

I had my wife make the Movement while I felt around and know it is in the Wheel Bearing / Spindle!

I first tightened the castle Nut while turning the wheel but that did not resolve it.

I Removed the wheel and Hub assembly and Removed the Rear Seal And Bearing. Cleaned it a little and checked to see how Tight it felt on the Spindle at the Back Of the Shaft. For sure it was not a “Press Fit” but it felt close to Normal but Looser Than I can Remember Feeling?

My question is, has Anyone ever had To Replace their Front Wheel Spindle from Being “Worn”? “OR” Was the inside of the Wheel Bearing Worn And Replacing the WHEEL BEARING Cured the Problem?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)