View Single Post
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Kevin,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. That grape hone is a great idea. I'm thinking the 600 or 800 grit and to just lightly do it by hand with some oil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well over the long weekend, my pops came up from AZ and brought his vintage Snap-on "Made in U.S.A." stud puller! He said he had it since the early 70s I couldn't believe how easy it was with this tool. All 24 studs came out easy. The dilvar studs came out with very little effort. The steel studs squeeked a bit and required more force, but nothing crazy.

Give the stud a little tap to break the loc-tite, thread on the stud puller:

Tighten the collet and unscrew the stud, oil a bit as you go.

Super easy to use and took me less than an hour to do both sides. No heating required.

The studs are perfect (other than the exhaust studs being made of Dilvar) and I hope to resell the 12 intake studs. (any idea of price)

Then I moved onto splitting the case:

Removed the 11 through bolts-

Blue seals. I removed the seals and the through bolts dropped right out.

Removed the 23 case nuts and washers and 2 bolts, removed the nut and washer inside the chain housing.

On the top of the case (Yellow square) was a brace/clip. Anyone know what this is for?

Wiring harness clip maybe?

The case came apart easy with a few gentle and strategic taps from a rubber mallet.

Looks pretty good inside. I see a scrape on the #3 bearing

and here is the nose bearing. Looks a bit worn, not too bad though.

Continued...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)