View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgalloway1 View Post
Hi Vince -

Had several e21's and it was always the sway bar to control arm connection that went bad. Maybe tighten up the wheel bearings but IMHO its the arm.

Tom
99 times out of 100, you are 100% Correct! That was one of the worst designs BMW Made. Trying to use the Swaybar also as the “Brake Reaction” Rod WITH Rubber Bushings. I used to Replace the Lower Control Arm About Every 20,000 Miles until I used Large Thick steel washers that I Lube a few times a year. Now people are making Urethane Bushings Kits to fix that problem.

It is Also the FIRST Place I looked at. But there was No movement. The Second Place I looked was the Ball Joint And No Movement there either.

Then with a Bright Lights And Hands In Place I watched and Felt Movement between the Brake Disc And Brake Caliper And Between the Brake Disc And Backing Plate. So I KNOW The Problem is in the Wheel Bearings.

My work Model when I do Not know what is wrong is to make a List Of the Parts involved and Replace them by Cost And Ease Of Replacement. In this case, Bought New Hubs And Bearing Kits From Ireland Engineering. If that does not cure the Problem, Then Replace the Spindle (the Strut Spindle assembly) which I am not looking Forward to!! I will have the Hubs in a few days and report back.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)