View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Will that 160 work in a 76?
Yes, they are completely rebuilt from 90amp Valeo alternators. The cast aluminum Valeo casing is probably the only part they reused. The rest is all new, way more powerful, and really well made.

Sit in a line of cars at a bank drive up window with the AC fans on high while the motor is at idle speed for 10 minutes or so and the battery would be drained to the point the motor would not restart without a jump from somebody else. That happened to me and I had to get out and push my car forward out of the bank drive up window spot.
With this 160 amp alternator that never happened again. I also had a killer high power stereo system and higher wattage H4 headlight bulbs in the car. This alternator would show 13.5 volts charging with everything running while the motor was at idle speed.

I took some pics of the wimpy 90 amp Valeo alternator that was in the car when I got it and the BNR rebuilt 160 amp alternator before installing it.
The 90 amp alternator was working as good as it could but with the two extra 10" AC condenser fans I had in the car the 90 amp alternator showed below 12 volts on a VDO voltmeter at idle speed. With the 160 amp alternator the voltmeter would show 13.5 volts at idle speed with the AC, headlights, and high power stereo all on.

The new rebuilt BNR 160 amp alternator.

The 160 amp alternator is on the left and the 90 amp alternator is on the right. You can see the copper wire windings are thicker in the 160 amp alternator, and there are more of them.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)