View Single Post

Bernd - I guess you don't know your own strength! It is hard enough to hold things while applying the high torque needed as it is.

My suspicion is that there was a casting flaw or other stress riser there. Cams are rather more brittle than most, if not all, of the other engine parts.

My wife once broke off a wheel stud torqueing the lug nuts while I was ready to go out and qualify. We joke a lot about not knowing her own strength, but of course she was using a click stop torque wrench, and it hadn't clicked.

You are getting a replacement, but I wonder how Mark's approach would work. The whole part with the keyway, which is what keeps the chain wheel in register with the cam lobes, is broken off. A fix would require welding the stub back on, grinding the weld area smooth, drilling and tapping for a much longer bolt so the bolt tension bore on the intact part of the cam and not on the weld, which would be in compression. Sounds like more than it is worth for a common cam?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)