View Single Post
E-85 sippin drunk

My watercooling setup for the turbo in our air cooled cars

Ok, When I put my new turbo in my car ( TiAL's version of Garrett's GT35r), the general consensus was that you could run a turbo that had water cooling ports on an air cooled car WITHOUT running anything to the watercooling ports. I had three choices...

1. Just leave the water cooling ports open, with nothing attached.
2. Hook up engine oil to the water ports, and utilize the engine oil for additional cooling of the CHRA
3. or fabricate a self contained water cooling system to cool the CHRA.

I decided on option #1, as it was the easiest, and since I was just getting my whole EFI project up and running, it was just another thing to have to deal with. That proved (in my case) to be the wrong choice. The ceramic ball bearings on the turbine side of my CHRA bit the dust, and my turbo locked up. If I was under full boost when this occurred, I might have had all the pieces of the compressor wheel enter my intake. I boroscoped as much as I could the engine (I took it out of the car), and I also completely flushed the oil system in the car. I cut open both of my oil filters, and the only debris I found was in the gears of the scavenge pump. The debris that I found was just a very tiny amount of the ceramic material from the failed bearing. I have a couple thousand miles on the car since then, and all is good.

Anyways, Here are a few pictures to show what I sourced, and what I fabricated up to make my own water cooling system for my new turbo (Garrett's newest and greatest GTX3584RS). The radiator was sourced from amazon from a company in FL I believe, and was an aftermarket version for a Kawasaki KX85 two stroke motorcross bike. It has its own radiator cap. The pump is a Bosch unit and is from a VW, and is the afterrun pump for their turbocharged vehicles. Total cost, IIRC, was right around $200 to $300

Its CRAZY just how much heat this setup pulls off the CHRA after shutdown!! I have it set to run for around 10 minutes or so, after shutdown. When it first is turned on, it is a good 180 to 220 deg air coming out. After 7 to 10 minutes, it is right about ambient. Hope this helps anyone else that wants to do something like this.

[IMG]turbocoolerparts by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]turbocoolerfanspecs by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]turbocoolershroud by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]turbocoolerwheelwell by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]turbocoolerrearview by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)