View Single Post

2.5SS - Will This Work?

Hi all,

I am thinking about putting together a 2.5 Short Stroke from a 2.7L that suffered a rod bearing failure. I have built a few big/turbo Type IV engines but this will be my first 911 engine. Here's what I have in terms of major components:

-2.0L case and bearings, bored for 90mm jugs. Oil bypass mod, case savers, no squirters. Measured/checked and is ready to go
-2.0L (66mm) Counterweight crank and bearings ready to go
-2.7L (70.4mm?) crank with damaged/undersized rod journal
-2.7L and 2.0L rods
-2.0L heads, rebuilt
-Worn 90mm Alusil jugs, good matching CIS pistons
-Worn cams which will be sent to Dougherty for a new grind
-4 rib oil pump
-Set of Weber 40IDAs
-Wayne's book

Plus all of the other parts needed to assemble the engine (minus hydraulic tensioners). Will replace all parts suggested in Wayne's book for sure.

I was thinking about using what I have (plus reconditioned Alusil jugs) to make a 2.5SS. However, I am concerned that my CR will be unmanageably low. But will it work OK for a street engine? My other thought was 9.5:1 JE pistons with Nikasil jugs but I'd rather find a less expensive solution. I am very much on a budget due to a second baby on the way. Essentially, I am looking for the cheapest way to build a no-frills, reliable engine with minimal shortcuts. This beats the alternative of selling the car or letting it sit around the garage for a few more years!!

Engine will be for my 914/6 conversion and the goal is a fun weekend driver, no racing.

Cheers and I appreciate your two cents, it's all I can afford at this time! I love lurking on this forum btw.

Brent
Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)