View Single Post
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
^^^ I looked into cooling the WG's too after seeing that. Tial's website does not recommend the water cooling unless it's an actual race car. I'm sure there is plenty of air flow around them on our cars.

I was at the Kart track this weekend and will be using a shifter kart radiator (better mounting attachments built in and a smaller sealed cap) and Ford GT500 intercooler water pump (It's designed for continuous operation). And I like the mount better than the Bosch.

Great write up and thanks for the idea. A little extra cooling can't hurt.
Oooh, like the idea of a kart radiator...I'm going to retrieve mine from my "auxiliary garage" over the other side of town, a little later....it's a single seater (Gould) radiator used on hillclimb/sprint cars, so about as light as you get for cooling an entire powertrain, but can't help feeling it's too big for just the turbo, which then means I have to run lines down to the front diff recess area. Would be a lot nicer if I could keep it local to the engine.

Re cooling the wastegates, interesting, I'd not read that they recommended not to cool them (not contesting that, it's just a long while since I looked). I did read some years ago that if they were in a confined space like a Supra/Evo/GTR engine bay, then they ought to be plumbed into the circuit....but...I'm all for keeping it easier. They could always be incorporated at a later date.

I re-posted a video from the Tialsport instagram feed the other day, showing a vid clip of 500,000 cycles @ 2000F on their WG....glowing a nice cherry red as you'd expect.....but they reckon they're still good-to-go for another run, despite that abuse.

Tonights job is to design an expansion tank; I like the idea of having something that's easy to fill up, looks in-keeping with the RHS of the engine bay with the various filler caps and avoids me having to do the Brad-Grovel in the wheelarch to top the system up. I'm going to mount this where I once mounted ignition amplifiers (which prior to that had some of the CIS fuel supply gubbins). Then it'll feed down through the tinware to the bottom hose of the radiator either before or after the electric pump....back later with some pics or mockups, if anyone's interested? (and nobody minds the slight hijack?)
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)