View Single Post

This is embarrasingly hokey-looking, but here's the pic. I had no end of problems with fuel pumps, so what you see are stock porsche rubber mounts, adapted twice for a total of three pump configurations.
The first setup used the stock clamp and a 911 pump sitting on those mounts. Very tidy, hoses exited from the same end. Pump burned out, still not sure why, we had the return plumbed.
Second set up, big ol' yankee pump from my Lotus spares bin, turned on its side, mounted to that billet aluminum plate you can just see. Filter mounted under car, roughly where stock pump is fitted on pre '75 914s. Didn't work, I think the pump needed to be mounted vertically.
Current arrangement, taking no chances with used bits. Universal import carb pump from FLAPS mounted on same aluminum plate. with filter ahead of pump. Problem is that inlet and outlet are on opposite ends so I had to jury rig that trombone like tube (I have a tidy looking replacement to install). Works great, filter changes will be easy.
I punched the hole in the bulkhead with a greenlee punch, then stuck a 'chase nipple' in the hole to prevent chafe. It clears the tire and the low profile of the pump is also below the 'tire board' or whatever its called.

pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 10-10-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)