View Single Post

Thanks for reminding me how the 914's stock front spindle/suspension set up worked. Been a long time since I had a stock set up (sold my first 914 around '96), my second 914 had the 911 set up.

From what I gather (and I know this sub-forum's not the place for VW discussion), but the spindles for most (all?) beetle, ghia, etc "ball joint beam" (as apposed to the the 'link kingpin' set ups) up til about '76, are the same.. so in theory IF the dimensions of the spindles of the VW 'ball joint' set up matched the dimensions of stock 914 spindles (the spindle part only)... then those "disc brake kits" for beetles, etc would/could possibly work on the 914.

With that said, here's a link to the dimension of replacement spindles for VW up to '77 (hit the second picture in this link for the exact measurements) :
VW Replacement Ball Joint Spindle, Pair.: VW Parts | JBugs.com
Does anyone have access to a 914 front suspension that they could take some measurements with digit calipers (because I've been unable to find any such measurements for 914 spindles) so that we could compare to the measurement on the above link? This could be an easy, relatively cheaper way of updating 914 front brakes with new parts, if nothing else. Anyone? Thanks.

Doug C

Last edited by Doug C; 02-12-2018 at 02:57 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)