View Single Post
Occasional User

M96/M97 compatibility questions

I had not realized that Porsche continued to use the M96 (M96.05) engine in the base Carrera all the way up to 2009 - I thought they switched to M97 at the same time as Cayman / Boxster. It looks like the Carrera S did switch, but base car carried on with M96.

My first question is - what IMS does the M96.05 base Carrera 2006-2008 have? would it be later M97 style, or earlier more easily serviceable version?

I guess that leads to my question about compatibility. Would the M96.05 work in a 2006-2008 Cayman / Boxster, or alternately - would a M97 from a Carrera S work - or is this like pounding a square peg in a round hole?

Is there a list somewhere that shows which engines can be swapped in to various cars / years? I have done a search, but there does not seem to be a complete list. I have read the engine swap article in Wayne's book by Todd Holyoak.

I am wondering if this all boils down to version of DME. I won't ask about putting a MA1 engine in to an earlier car - I assume that the Siemens DME will not work with an earlier car that uses Bosch.
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)