View Single Post

I appreciate the responses. Mine is tight and super low miles. 1st not synchro? Hummmm it slips into 1st on the move as smooth as butter. It is only -sometimes- like when sitting in traffic waiting for a signal to change- with it in neutral/clutch out and then putting it into gear as the light changes - that it is sometimes an issue. But it is a HUGE issue with me wondering when some idiot will drive right into me as the light changes [exactly that happened to me in a '73 RS about 20 years ago].

Any- all suggestions very much appreciated. I might mention that more than once I had someone suggest "They all do that." so, anyone else here that actually has an R-50 willing to share experience regarding this?

Also I MUST correct a statement above. I was going to let it go with a suble hint that anyone understanding how a trans works would realize it has to have sycro and anyone thinking that Alois would be so backwards? so..

There is NO way that 1st gear in the R50 is not syncro! Please educate yourself prior to posting. When properly adjusted it feels like a well set up Type 901/911 transaxle. In other words, sweet - much nicer than a 915.

In the Ruf R-50 5-Speed, 1st Gear set up is:
Located in the tail cone,with REVERSE.
1ST Gear, is a synchronized Porsche synchronizer gear.
REVERSE: disengauges the synchronizer, and pulls a straight cut ring gear into a 3rd twin, IDLER GEAR, that now turns the out put shaft backwards.
It's that simple.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)