View Single Post
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Honestly....can you expand Paul...I dunno about this stuff. I'm the same age as Sammy, 57, and never really figured SS into my planning anyways...

Sammy...you too...'splain it
FRA is the key. The penalties for earning more than $17k a year before FRA makes taking SSN before 66.4 untenable for me. Makes no sense since I will continue to work and earn enough to skew my SSN benefits.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3739/what-happens-if-i-work-and-get-social-security-retirement-benefits

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2018 that limit is $17,040.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2018, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $45,360.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 02-20-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)