View Single Post
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflat6s View Post
So, please - I am trying to figure this out and you are saying that in fact the Ruf 5 speed has NO syncro on 1st? How in the heck is it so perfect when downshifting without double clutching and rev matching?

That, and why is it almost uniquely nasty- when it seems to feel like it- to get from neutral into a solid 1st geat?

I certainly accept that you have probably forotten more about the internals of a trans than I will every understand. Please explain how this works - or doesn't - as it seems to contradict my understanding of how these things work.
My apologies. I have introduced confusion to the conversation. I was saying that it's not impossible to have a non-synchro 1st. You stated that earlier.

You were always correct in your statement that the Ruf 1st gear is synchronized. I hesitate to post a picture of copyright material, but Anderson's book is the only picture I know of showing the first. Hopefully Bruce will forgive me in the interest of sharing knowledge.

The Ruf 1st gear is loosely based on G31 snail turbo gearbox parts. The first gear is MUCH narrower than a regular 930 gear. When you put the clutch in, because it's so light, it stops spinning very quickly. By the time the light changes green it's not spinning.

What can happen, especially if the teeth aren't new and have been dinged up a bit, is that when it stops spinning, the teeth line up bumping tips against each other. You try to pull down and it's metal on metal. It needs to be moved just a touch to let it slide in.

the 2 back to 1 trick works well. The other one that works is just let your clutch out in neutral and leave everything engaged and spinning while at the light. Only put the clutch down and go into 1st when you are ready to roll. If you are nervous of revvy rear enders, do that when the other light goes yellow and you are ready when yours goes green.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)