View Single Post

yes both megasquirt + VEMS would replace your DME, and yes with the AFM removed you could hang the air filter off the throttle body directly if you wanted.

VEMS will come with a spot-on tune out of the box and has the ability to self-tune fueling as you drive "fine tuning".

MS I think you will have to DIY a little more but not certain.

re: manifold swap and that linked post, the location of the 944S2 air filter box was a matter of convenience/fitment rather than any performance boost. there just was nowhere else to put it, to fit the redesigned manifold. the AFM flapper door in the way would kill any high velocity air coming in quickly at anything under WOT and ~4000rpm.

I happen to have both a 944S and 944S2 intake manifold handy and the runners are all the same length within about 1/2" of eachother, and the diameter and port size where the runners meet the head are completely identical. so "tuning-wise" the 944S and S2 intakes are identical for both peak power airflow (though the S2 should make it at a lower RPM than the S due to displacement) and torque-boosting resonance wave tuning.

my guess is that the switch to the 944S2 intake was based on material cost (mag vs alu) and service - the 944S intake was a really nice design but having the throttle at the very back and the long tube feeding it really makes maintenance frustrating...
Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)