Thread: No bubble here
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1752 View Post
For me, the shine on BAT is coming off a bit. I have been interested in finding an '88 E28 M5 for some time now and have been watching them churn through BAT...there was what looked like a nice one last October that appeared on BAT but it was missing some key shot such as undercarriage and rockers panels...hmm. Anyway it hammered down at $26K and the owner discussed his subsequent woes of serious rust issues and compression values on mye28. The new owner is very pragmatic about the whole matter but it seems that this shows the pitfalls of BAT and underscores Munky's notes above as I do not believe there is any buyer's protection offered by BAT....you can only vet cars so well from pictures but for an additional % charge perhaps BAT could send an agent to "BAT certify" a vehicle before moving it to auction. The values of revenue they're seeing through auctions is pushing BAT through a glass ceiling and clearly some folks are being cut along the way.
Maybe I'm just old school but I don't think we need to be "protected" when playing the vintage car game. Whatever happened to common sense, buyer beware, and due diligence? Doesn't matter if BAT, ebay or CL, the same rules should always apply. If a seller posts poor pictures, he/she will get lower bids. If a buyer doesn't like what they see, then bid low or don't bid. So simple, no need to over regulate and hand-hold everybody.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)