View Single Post

Garage
New leak after oil change / replacing sump plate gaskets and washer

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I did my first oil change on my '80 SC Targa (ha - first time I've done an oil change at home since around 1991...). I replaced the two gaskets and washer on the sump plate and of course the washer on the oil tank. The nuts on the sump plate were really difficult to get off. They all came off, except for one, where the bolt actually came out as well. Since the bolt was threaded and didn't seem to have loosened from the nut, I put it back in. I can't find the technical article now, but I did follow the advice from our host and tightened the sump plate nuts with a torque wrench to 6 ft-lbs.

Since it was done I have noticed a small leak from the sump plate. See the pictures below. We had some snow and cold weather here in Portland right after so I haven't driven much. I did get to drive it last Sunday and check the oil afterward - no appreciable difference. Is this something to worry about? Should I just keep driving and keep a close eye on the oil level? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Todd

Old 03-07-2018, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)