View Single Post
Registered Minimalist

Garage
That's annoying. Seems like a decent enough leak to warrant a re-do. Though in my case, I'd opt for fresh oil. I know a lot of people would probably re-use the oil if they are careful. The reason I say this is because the cost. It's a 50-100 dollar mistake if you count new oil. :-) On my car (and yours looks similar) I think I remember there being two gaskets.

In addition to the aluminum crush washer for the drain plug, you have three things to replace. Two gaskets and the crush washer on the plug. (well and all new nuts and washers for the sump cover)

Did you re-use the nuts? I can't remember if they are nylock or use a crush washer as well. Either way replace with new hardware.

Here's what I would do:

Start over, drain the oil, take off the cover, lock tight the loose stud back in or just make sure it's snug. Don't over tighten it on the mag case.

Inspect both gaskets and replace if necessary. Clean the mating surfaces religiously. Repaint the sump cover, install new nuts AND new washers (come to think of it, those are mini aluminum crush washers there too if I remember correctly)

Tighten by hand in a star pattern. DO NOT overtighten and I wouldn't torque them. I would do it by feel, snug is all you need. If you over tighten that can lead to leaks.

Edit: Found a pic of mine: I've since repainted the cover but you can see both the nylocks and the crush washer for each stud. Two gaskets one under the sump screen and one under the cover.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 03-07-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)