View Single Post
Turbo normal sound

I've been a member of this community since 2003, it's been a while! However I lacked time to connect and I've been absent a few years.

My background is,I have an 86' 951 i bought in a less than perfect state...was not expensive but the poor car was beaten up, eating almost 1 liter oil per 160 miles or so. Imagine...
5 year ago I overhauled it, was a timely and very expensive overhaul, a few times the price of the car, itincluded new piatons with rings, new transaxle, new turbo (k26/6 since I wanted original specs) head work...etc etc. Quite expensive but I got an almost perfect mechanical state, no oil consumption at all and great performance. I also added a lindsey boost enhancer that really did it's job.

More recently I did some maintenace changing part of the steering, new shocks, new clutch pump, etc. This was the last maintenance, 2 months ago. Not cheap also....

So with this background, here is my question related to the topic...

Yesterday was driving through a tunnel, when I noticed the sound ofthe turbo spooling up and down while accelerating. And I thought "how cool the turbo spooling"... But after exiting the tunnel I turned off the stereo and while accelerating, I still heard the turbo spooling up and down...very subtle, a very light " pssttttt.....psssssst". Then i tought "did I heard this before?? Is this normal?" I kept driving and I still heard the very subtle sound of the turbo spooling up and down. When above 3k rpm, I heard nothing, and at the end of the trip when the car was hot, the sound was even more sobtle, almost non noticeable.

So now I dont know if i'm too paranoid about this...I remember when the car was not repaired and i had the original busted turbo that it was quite noisy, but i cant remember hearing it after the overhaul.

So...are you supposed to hear a little bit of turbo spooling on a stock car? Or should you hear nothing? I checked hoses and apparently they are ok, and oil consumption semms normal, almost zero.

I'd like to know if i'm too paranoid or not...what is your opinion??

855 951
Old 03-08-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)