View Single Post
Diving in 911

Garage
Not what I wanted to hear...lol

Lol! Not giving up yet. Think I have a plan. Have it all apart, picked up a new strainer from the dealer today. Filed the insert edge hoping to get it back in the bung...no luck. I知 going to use a rotary tool with a diamond cutter to notch around the inserts leading edge, just enough to get it started in the hole. After it痴 started, I値l line the inside witha nice smear of marine JB weld using my finger through the insert. I ripped the filter out of the old strainer and will use it to drive the insert back to the correct depth. After I reach the scored part of the insert I will put a swirling bead of JB around it to carry the material in as it痴 inserted.. after the right depth for the insert has been achieved I値l back the dummy strainer off and use a thin rope of JB putty (think pencil lead) to fill the space between the insert and the tank. Also going to put a hose clamp on the outside of the inlet.

All this being said.....one of my local PCar buddies has another tank....so if I知 not getting the results I want I can JB the shat out of the outside of the mating surface and just plane on tank replacement the next time the transaxle has to come out.

I値l post some pics and results I got...

1987 951 Turbo
1981 928 blk/blk 5sp
Old 03-08-2018, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)