View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDH888 View Post
I might ask my tech to this the next time my old German relays installed fail . Why cant Porsche or the numerous Parts Vendors ( like Pelican , ***********, EBS. ,etc) to persuade Bosch or Hella to remanufacture them again . There is still a lot of 911/912 still on the road .
Take a wild guess where your generic black relays were made...
CHINA
That wiring mess with the wires pushed into the factory relay sockets is ridiculous right there next to the gas tank.

All consumer electronics are made in China now and it isn't going to change.
If you slowly and carefully squeeze the red or black cap on the Porsche relays with pliers in warm weather or after letting them sit in the sun for a few minutes they will pop off the base of the relay before they crack or break.
Then if you really want to use generic cheap relays you could remove the internal relay parts from a dead red relay and solder wires to the pins inside and run them to the male spade terminals on the generic relays.

You could also drill a hole in the red relay cap and run the wires through it before soldering them and then press the cap back on to the retaining groove around the relay base. That would look better.
Smear a tiny bit of clear silicone glue into the groove to seal it and make it stay there before pressing the cap back on.

You can buy one piece plastic relay plugs that fit the spade terminals of the generic square relays that have female spade terminals in them which is much better than 4 or 5 seperate crimped on female spade terminals. The best ones are probably under the hood of old cars in salvage yards that used the square Hella relays.
To keep it all working smear some dielectric grease on all the push on electrical connections to keep them from corroding.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)