Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 1 Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What to look for when buying used i35i?

Hi all,

What do you suggest I look for - and look out for - in buying a 6-7yo 135i convertible with 45K on it? Do the turbos or control boards cause repair issues? Is the drive train pretty dependable?

The 2-series owners I've chatted up say it's a fun runabout but not so comfy for long highway drives. Does that fit the 1's as well? I'm looking for a fun top-down drive that isn't a beast, won't complain if we just drive it gently, and won't be uncontrollable if we punch it for the occasional quick merge.

After a bad experience buying/selling-back a 2013 328i last Summer, my wife and I are looking at a friend-of-a-friend 135i today. It's 2012 or 2013, "loaded", auto, 1-2 owners and all local dealer service. The 328i was a rough runner, just 30K SoCal miles but no history and bad "lot rot", rain seals baked out etc. It was jumpy, had tramlining trouble even with new tires & alignment, was hard to control. Diags showed trouble with several onboard computers including ignition, eco, etc. They did take firmware upgrades ok but did not seem to improve car's running. I sold it back to dealer when I realized we were never going to love that car. Here's hoping the 135i is the car "that should have been".

Cheers
Bob Davis

current 1989 BMW 325i vert
Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Bob - I currently own a 08' 135i. There are 2 versions, one with the N54 motor, until 2010 and one with the N55 motor, starting 2011. They are excellent, really fun drivers but can develop issues once you're around 65k-70k miles. I've dealt with plugs, coils, injectors, valve gasket leak, - those are all known issues with the 135i. I've read about some people having to replace the turbos too; which is rare. Although I had this work done, the car was and still is amazing to drive and a true enthusiasts car. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: