Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E46 (1999-2005)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

E46 fuel pump

E46 318ic - is anyone able to advise me why the flexible hose that connects directly to the fuel pump (inside the tank) burst and so did the replacement?
Thanks

Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not quite sure how the format of this site works but thanks to Nick at Pelican Parts for your reply (which I see on my iphone but not here for some reason).

For info to others, you advise - 'over pressure, heat or damage to the hose'

What I don't understand is how the same pump that's worked for years can suddenly increase pumping pressure. Is this possible? If so I'll replace it, or is there a blockage that's backing it up maybe?

When I replaced the hose it I disconnected the flow line from the filter to the rail, lots of fuel pumped out. Reconnected and with fuel to the rail it ran for maybe 5-7 seconds then the pipe burst again.

Could there be a blockage on the return line and would this cause the problem?

Any further thoughts or has the pump gone bad?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2020, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks to Nick at Pelican who sent a reply which doesn't appear here for some reason.

Not quite sure how this forum works yet.

Nick you advise - over-pressure, heat or damage to the hose.

I guess its definitely over pressure to burst the hose but is it possible for the existing pump to get 'stronger'?

i fitted a replacement hose, disconnected the flow line from the filter to the rail - lots of fuel pumped through. Reconnected to get fuel to the rail and the car ran for maybe 5-7 seconds then the replacement pipe burst.

Would a blockage on the return line cause this or has the pump gone bad?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2020, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: