Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E46 (2000-2006)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Squeal - Belt or pulley?

I recently bought a 2005 330xi. Had it inspected, everything checked out fine. A couple of days later it developed an intermittent squeal, which sounded like a bad or loose belt to me. The previous owner gave me his service records and the belts were changed at 40K miles. The car now has 53K miles. The belts look okay from what I can see.

It seems like pulleys should not go out at only 53K miles, but since the belts were recently replaced, I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If it helps anyone, I decided to pull it apart and check it out, as I knew I couldn't resist. I first bought new belts and a new idler pulley and tensioner pully. I had suspected it to be the idler pulley, but thought I would replace both, so they would wear together evenly.
As it turns out, the tensioner pulley was shot. Belts were fine. Replaced the pulleys - problem solved.
BTW - my car had the hydraulic style tensioner pulley - something I checked ahead of time before buying the part. Some e46 models came equipped with the mechanical style pulley, so definitely check which one you have before replacing.

If anyone has this problem or has any questions on replacement procedure, let me know.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: