Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E46 (2000-2006)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2006 Brake Replacement

The front brakes on my 2006 330i are squeaking at slow speeds and when i brake. I assume they need to be replaced. I have about 34,000 miles on this set of breaks.

I have replaced brakes on American cars before, but never a bmw. Is it something the average Joe and handle. Does anyone have a good step by step process I cent get online or purchase.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is easier than most. If you have ever done any disk brakes, this will be a cinch.

BMW uses a silicone grease on the backs of the brake pads rather than teflon shims or gooey stuff to quiet the brakes. Any on-line vendor that sells brake parts for BMWs will sell you that grease.

Before you buy new pads, pull off a wheel and have a look to see how thick the pads are, and to see what kind of shape your rotors are in. Original BMW pads are not only very dirty, they are also pretty hard on rotors.

I recently bought a 325iT and the PO put slotted rotors and stainless braided lines on it. The rotors buzz a little as slotted rotors tend to do, but they look and work absolutely great. I wish I knew where he got them. I have three other 3-series with Mexican-made Brembo rotors and AAXIS pads on them. They work great, and keep the wheels clean, but the rotors rust like crazy when they get wet.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: