Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
DME and Injector failure

Hello, Pelicans! Im generally on the Porsche side of the forums, but have a question about an 08 C335i. This is my mother in laws car.

She had a failure this week, and the car is at the mechanic. Im told one of the fuel injectors failed, so the DME went with it, and shut down one bank of cylinders and injectors. All the injectors were replaced under a recall in 2013. Mechanic is recommending 3 new injectors, coils and DME. These are ridiculously expensive and shes a single retired teacher. So... problem.

I see reman injectors and DMEs online for a fraction of the cost of new. Mechanic isnt wanting to deal with reman injectors because hes concerned they will take out the to-be-new DME. I feel like hes being straight up and looking out for her, but the cost will be huge for this repair.

Any guidance on this? How hard are these parts to replace if I have it towed to my house?

Last edited by cfassett; 10-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Subscribing
Old 10-02-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hey! I found guide links for the fuel injector and coil replacements. Not sure about the DME - I've read mixed things about replacing the DMEs on newer BMWs and then having to re-code them to the vin #. Sorry that I can't be of more help here!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E90/FUEL-Fuel_Injectors_Replacement/FUEL-Fuel_Injectors_Replacement.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E90/ENGINE-Spark_Plug_Coil_Replacement/ENGINE-Spark_Plug_Coil_Replacement.htm#
Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I read through some of these, and Im seeing good no mention of the injectors taking down the coils or the DME.

How would this happen?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
Thanks. I read through some of these, and Im seeing good no mention of the injectors taking down the coils or the DME.

How would this happen?
Not exactly sure - I have an '08 135i, same N54 as you have. I had to replace my injectors and coils as well; but it didn't harm the ecu at all. In addition a walnut blast is recommended since our cars produce and ton of carbon and gunk up the manifold.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! Is there anyone out there who rebuilds the injectors? Trying to find something more reasonable that $300+ per injector for a car that's about to be traded.
'17 F150
Old 10-07-2019, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
Thanks! Is there anyone out there who rebuilds the injectors? Trying to find something more reasonable that $300+ per injector for a car that's about to be traded.
I'm not familiar with a specific source. A google search for 'bmw injector rebuild' produces a few companies that seem to offer it.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: