Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

08 BMW M3, OK Car??

I ask this because I had a 05 E46 M3 that I had so sell Because it was basically a POS. I do miss it because honestly theres just not anything out there that comes close to what these cars have to offer. At least in the form of a coupe. Thing is the BMWs Ive owned have all cost mega bucks in repairs. I'm wondering if this car has any better build quality. Ive found a nice example with 38,000 miles for 42k. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I know Ill have high running cost I just dont want to spend $5000 a year on repairs
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I know many on here won't agree, but I have personally sworn off BMWs because I don't believe they last. Considering their high initial price, I believe that long term quality is sorely lacking. I would purchase a 996 or 997 over an M3 all day long, the Porsches are much better made and less maintenance intensive.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think if the cost of ownership for an older BMW scares you away, I wouldn't go with a newer one. The build quality might be better but there are more costly, more complex systems in the newer ones that will only cost more if they break.

Pay to play...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know about the M3 specifically, but I had 2008 335xi Coupe for 2 years, and repair bills on it about broke me.

Ran good though, when it wasn't needing something.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
King Broinyo

The E46 was the last real BMW. I've worked on several "new" M3s. Avoid them. They are now disposable status symbols.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
The E46 was the last real BMW. I've worked on several "new" M3s. Avoid them. They are now disposable status symbols.
I'd go about a decade before that. The E34 and E30 are cars that have withstood the test of time. I think BMW lost their way with the E36, which is a cheaply made POS in my book. The E46 provides the joy of frequently failing window regulators, pixel fade (common to all BMW), rapid interior wear (common to all BMW), premature suspension wear (common to all BMW), cooling system failure around 100k (common to all BMW), and the minor issue of the subframe tearing free from the unibody.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i would kill for a newer m3- however being in sales i cant afforde to keep them on the road. i picked up a lexus is350, put 40K miles on it with in the last year and a half and have had no unexpected expenses- heck even the normal stuff wasnt expensive by any means.
i really like bmw, i just dont want the extra costs with how much i drive.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That is 996TT money.

997S as well.

At those prices, used BMWs don't make sense to me.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

These cars are still junk!! lol
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you like BMW, buy BMW. If you like Porsche, buy Porsche. If you want no maintenance and issues, buy a Japanese car. I personally like BMW and the M3 has always been a favorite. I don't know how you can change directions and consider a 996 unless your car has to be German. The 996 hits a low for me in looks. You sound like a BMW guy, go with your feelings.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
If you like BMW, buy BMW. If you like Porsche, buy Porsche. If you want no maintenance and issues, buy a Japanese car. I personally like BMW and the M3 has always been a favorite. I don't know how you can change directions and consider a 996 unless your car has to be German. The 996 hits a low for me in looks. You sound like a BMW guy, go with your feelings.
996TT a low point for looks? Have you ever seen one? We're not talking the '99 C2's with the egg yolk headlamps here.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
My son is a service writer at a Mercedes, BMW, VW dealer. You couldn't give him a BMW. Mercedes and VW have much better quality according to him. From the stories I have heard GM had better quality in the 80s than BMW now. Kinda sad for the amount of money they charge new.
1990 Corrado G60
1987 928S4....with snapped timing belt.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I am currently a Client Adviser at a BMW Dealership. After the experience of the past year I can say i would NOT own any BMW from the past 6-7 years. The maintenance will kill you. It is no mistake that they are giving away the maintenance for 4 years or 50,000 miles as NO ONE would spend the money to do the required maintenance.

All German cars are maintenance intensive but the labor cost coupled with BMW's parts cost is really high. Run Flat Tires just add to the cost.

Having been at an AUDI store previous to this I have to say that BMW enthusiast owners have left the brand and BMW is just a status car driven by a lot of Indian and Arab customers who beat one dealer with another until NOBODY makes any money in sales (ie $60-70000 cars sold with a $200-400 profit paying a sales commission of $150-200). The dealer makes money on the maintenance....
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I would venture to say that many, many issues of cars being "problematic" are do to the issues of technology and computer integration in modern cars. BMW, Audi , and Mercedes being some of the biggest offenders. The BMW horror stories can be replaced by Audi, VW,and as of late, Mercedes. In fact Audi nightmare stories filled off topic for a long time. I think with the amount of technology in them, NO car is worth owning for the long run out of warranty. They just aren't designed this way anymore.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
What kind of MX bills are we talking about here? Something you could do yourself? I have 2 e36 M3s and an e46 330, and have had zero problems with any of them over the last 6-7 years..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutzdriver View Post
driven by a lot of Indian and Arab customers .
Seriously dude...did you really type that?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
My wife has an e-46 that's been great. It must be said however that we only do about 10k a year on her. I've had a few minor issues over the time I've had it but it is a real joy to drive. I really missed the performance, feedback and comfort when I recently rented an "appliance" car in Vegas. A friend of mine has owned bimmers for thirty years; racking up hundreds of thousands of miles without any catastrophic repairs. His current ride is a 545 and his wife drives an X5. It must be said however that he's a "hands on" kind of guy, so putting bushings in or changing window motor relays...etc, are all fine with him. BMW themselves charge a crazy amount of money to do the simplest tasks that even the average, motivated, mechanically proficient guy could tackle with ease. BMW sells most of it's new cars to people that don't fit into that category, and even the second owners tend to have no time or interest doing work (even simple tasks) on their car. I think that if I was doing a lot of miles and needed a car to be as trouble free as possible (without any personal mechanical involvement), and had decent driving characteristics, I would go Japanese.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A friend bought an '09 M3 new. Wonderful car to drive. Over 400 horsepower, comfortable and very quick. He delighted in telling me all about the superior engineering (superior to my lowly Mustang) it contained.

After the warranty & free service expired, he bought a Honda.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I swore off BMWs after getting a new E30 that was junk (could not be fixed by the dealer and BMW USA didn't care) and I had a used E36 convertible that was just not robust (flakey electrical, malfunctioning top, front subframe flex/wobble at speed).

I hear from shops that some of their V8s have a tendency to crack the block. I had a friend with a 750i that needed a whole new engine 10 days after the warranty expired (dealer stepped up).

I've had friends who have had success with E46 and later cars, but I'm not risking it again.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: