Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question on BMW 3-Series e90 Cooling system.Car will not reach operating temperature

Good Evening,

I have a 2008 328i. I recently acquired the car and worked through various things from brakes, to vanos solenoid and am now down to one remaining item.

When the temperature outside is below 65 (over 65 I don't need heat!) the car will not heat up past 150-160 degrees. The blower will blow cool air out the vents. As I understand it, the car is supposed to run around 207 degrees.

I have an actron scan tool that I keep with me when I am driving to read real time info. The outside temperature seems accurate on the car. In the mornings, when its down in the 40s and 50's, the car will not get past 160 or 170 with the heat off and when I turn the heat to 84 degrees and the fan on it will immediately lower the coolant temperature of the car. In the afternoon going home from work with the temps in the 70's and 80's ( I live in Southern California), the car will heat up to 202-210 and stay there. The heat works great and the temp will regulate correctly.

I replaced the thermostat with a BMW OEM from the dealer this weekend, bled the system and still no luck. The water pump seems to run like a champ and no strange issues when I bled the system.

I might be crazy but its as if the DME is telling the thermostat to stay open and run the waterpump as fast as possible.

Tonight after driving for 20 mins of stop and go city traffic with an outside air temperature of 51 degrees, the temp would go no higher than 172 with the heat control off. I turn the heat control to 84 and the fan on and within 1 minute temp was down to 142 and would not rise above 150 until I turned the fan and heat control to off. Then it hovered around 170.

Any ideas? Getting ready to take it to BMW but would like to get an idea before I take it in so the sticker shock won't be so bad!

Thanks.

Ryan
2008 BMW 328i
Wildomar, CA.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Coolant Temperature Issue

Hello rlmeskimen,

Im new to this forum and located your post while trying to diagnose the exact same issue with my 2006 330XI. Did you ever have any luck figuring out the problem?

Thanks in advance.

FRS330XI
Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: