Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2006 e90 overheat/water pump questions

I have a 2006 325i e90, has about 106,000 miles. On a recent road trip, my wife got the yellow high temperature warning, then the red warning, then the "safe mode" limitation. She got off the highway within about a mile, and we had the car towed home.

On checking the expansion tank, there was no visible fluid in it. We have had the car about 9 years (bought CPO) and I am embarrassed to admit that while I have done several types of service on it I have never checked the coolant level.

There did not appear to be coolant sprayed in and around the engine.

Anyway, I have checked the OBD codes and there are none, no water pump or thermostat code. I have done the bleed/test procedure and the pump appears to operate as it should. I can hear it cycling on and off and see the coolant squirt across the opening of the expansion tank.

I just ordered a new water pump, thermostat, and bolts. But I'm wondering, is it possible that I don't need a new pump and thermostat? Could it be something else, like a temperature sensor?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by greggk; 04-27-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have same car same age same mileage. I've had it overheat twice about six weeks apart. When it overheated there was no heating in cabin, I undid the expansion tank cap and hot fluid flowed out, got back in car and there was heat in cabin and all was ok apart from low fluid because of the fluid I released out the tank. Topped up all was good for about six week the did exactly same again, released fluid from expansion tank and all was well again any ideas guys
Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The cooling system is often neglected. First, are there any visible leaks under the vehicle? I'd suggest getting under there and checking over components. It could be a slow leak that burns off before collecting on the ground for you to notice. If the coolant level is low, the coolant must be going somewhere. If you do not see anything then I'd suggest filling it with BMW coolant 50/50 with distilled water and watch it over the span of a few days. Also, since you're at that mileage and have never done so before, I'd highly recommend servicing your cooling system. We have an article HERE that can help you with it.

Coolant - BMW 3-Series E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2013) - Radiators - Page 1
Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
codes , e909 , overheat , water pump