Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Warning Light After Oil Change

Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by.
So like the title says, I recently finished an oil change on my 328i. 6qts of oil and new filter. Ran the car around just long enough to warm up the oil and check the level, which was fine. Parked the car and didn't drive it for a couple of days. Today i took it out and soon received an Oil Warning Light. Went to check the level and it tells me that i am down 1qt!
This is very weird. There's no oil puddle under the car in the gararge and i don't see any signs of a leak that would result in 1qt loss. Could the computer be wrong???
I am hesitant to believe the computer is wrong, but i just put in 6qts of oil and i see no signs of spillage in my garage.
Any ideas???
Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Did you check around the engine bay itself? Any leaks around the valve cover seal? It's possible that you have a faulty oil condition sensor, if so check out the link below to help troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue.

BMW E90 Oil Condition Sensor Replacement | E91, E92, E93 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

-Dmitry
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dmitry. I know i have an oil leak around the valve cover seal and also another one around the filter housing. I already found an article in how to repair the issue on here. But i don't think i leaked 1qt from them. The car hasn't been driven since the oil change.
The frustrating part is that if you don't trust the oil sensor, the only other option is to drain the oil and see how much comes out. If i get close to 6qts i know it will likely be a bad oil sensor. If not, then i have a bigger issue like an internal oil leak.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

swrider -

What year is your car? We have a 2008, 328xi and I am 99% sure that this car takes 6.9 qts with a filter change. I think you have no leaks :-)
Sold - '86 Carrera, '88 944 Turbo
David
Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: