Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Michael (guest)

Does anyone know where the fuse is for the license plate bulbs? I had some errors which lead to those bulbs. They were both blown so I replaced them. After replacement they still did not work so I searched and found the wires can break under the rubber boot. I took the boot off and found two broken ground wires one to those bulbs and a few wires with stripped insulation both of the + wires to these bulbs. I re-soldered the ground wires and taped up the other wires but it still didn't work. I then got my meter out to see if I could trace those wires to the fuse box. I found where they connected to a couple of fuses that also shared other devices but all those fuses were good. At this point I am not sure what else to do so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Maybe it uses a control box somewhere and that box is dead or maybe there are other fuses etc. Any help would be appreciated because the warnings are driving me crazy. I can get the bulbs to work by hooking them to something else but I want to get rid of the errors.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very good diagnostic work! I think in your case the shorted wires have fried the footwell module (FRM). Have seen that a few times after the trunk wiring insulation comes apart. Try clearing the faults in the module first, if that doesn't work the FRM is most likely bad. Double check the license plate light bulb output from the FRM. You can get a 1 day subscription to BMWTIS.com for $30 and download the wiring diagrams and component locations.

- Casey
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: