Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 3-Series E90 (2006-2012)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intermittent Rough/Surging Idle

My 2007 328i has an intermittent rough idle. Occasionally the rpm will surge/hiccup. It does not do this constantly, and seems to be worse when the engine is warm. The surge can be several hundred rpms. This issue showed up after I replaced the spark-plugs to correct a mis-fire. The check engine light does not come on during the idle hiccups, and my basic code reader shows no active codes. The dealer thought it may be the ignition modules need replaced, but after some reading online it appears that the VANOS solenoids may be another possible source. Without codes is there a way to determine if the issue is the solenoids or the ignition modules.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum! Although there are no active codes showing, there are likely stored codes that will give you a place to start troubleshooting. When you took it to the dealer, did they run the codes on their system? In case it is the VANOS, I'm including a link to our site's DIY tech article on the procedure to replace it. If you have any questions about the fix or need additional info, please feel free to post a Comment just below the article and one of our techs will get back to you with details. Hope this helps and best of luck!

BMW E90 VANOS Solenoid Replacement | E91, E92, E93 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: