Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooling system

Hi
I'm about to change out expansion tank, fan clutch, water pump, and aux fan on my 2001 530i

Any recommendations on order?, pull bumper and radiator to make it easier so I don't have to dig around behind radiators?
I'm thinking the extra time to pull and replace radiator will counter awkwardness and knuckle busting of doing it with radiator in place?

Comments are greatly appreciated
Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum! I've attached links to our site's DIY tech articles on a few of the above procedures. Other members will likely chime in with their expertise.

BMW E39 Coolant Expansion Tank Removal

BMW E39 Cooling Pump Removal
Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the links.
Long day yesterday. Hot in Florida, even in garage with fan
Aux fan replaced
Fan clutch replaced
Expansion tank replaced
Valve cover gasket will have to wait until another day

Question, what is fan shroud made of? I am thinking some kind of paper or cotton with fiberglass. Very brittle, and definitely itchy when it gets on you. Did bmw source parts from a trabant?

Snapped off piece where the holding clip goes on the expansion tank, so had to improvise. Hope it holds up.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

While taking the bumper off is not that difficult, it certainly is not necessary for any of this. yes a few of water pump bolts will be a little tricky but not too hard (gasket clean off then install is probably trickiest. Not taking your rad out will save you a bit of coolant. But is is easier with it out. (optional take rad out...Easy ...pull vertically out once shroud & two bolts on top are off) 1) Take fan clutch off (while you have your belt still mounted will help give you some improved grip). Easiest with a big appropriately sized Allen key being hit with a big rubber mallet. Remember, its a REVERSE thread! and when you put new one on, put a bit of anti-seize for the next time :-) 2) Remove belts. 3) remove upper rad hose. 4) Remove trim top of rad, the disconnect and remove expansion tank. 4) remove water pump & clean off surface for new gasket. While you are in there, I would suggest two new belts, and even new tension pulleys as they are not expensive and do fail quite a bit. Remember that once all reassembled, the bleed of cooling system is not the easiest in these cars. And finally, make absolutely certain that you have the correct fan clutch part for your car (530)....Have fun!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thx CPC.. Guess now I'll have to do part of it again! In my fog of 95 degree weather, I replaced the Aux/Condenser fan with.. the original aux/condenser fan.. so now I have to pull bumper and do it again! Oh well.. I did find out when I pulled the wheels that the tie rod end boots were separated and exposed, so I'll have a chance to put new ones on while I'm in there!
Wife is getting jealous! All work has been on my two cars (01 530 and 02 Boxster).. Now I have to figuire out how to swap out the engine mount bushing insert on my boxster w/o a hydraulic press! Off to HD and Harbor Freight I go to build a bushing puller/press!!
Saturday can't get here soon enough!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: