Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

E39 flickering lights

I got into the car this morning and found I had no turn signals, and the rear lights were flickering. Has anyone experienced this problem before? I am wondering if it's a faulty relay.
Thanks for any comments.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Take a look at the link below - seems that this E39 owner had a similar issue.

E39 Flickering Lights
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

E39 Flickering Lights

Thanks Dmitry, very useful but unfortunately there was no conclusion on what the corrective action is to fix it. I am working through the various potential problems identified. If I am able to fix it I will post the solution. My problem is exactly as described in the link you provided.
Thanks again
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Have you tried checking the grounding points in the trunk?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dustim,
Yes, I did check the ground connections in the trunk and the engine compartment. All seem tight and clean.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

E#( Flickering

Just wanted to follow-up and complete this topic in case anyone else has the same issue.
The problem was indeed the Light Control Module (LCM). I learned the hard way that you have to replace the one in the car with one exactly the same of newer vintage. I thought initially I could re-program an LCM 3 and it would work, but found out that it only worked partially. I sourced an LCM 4 with auto light control from Europe and it worked perfectly when installed. I then had the unit re-programed to match VIN and mileage to the vehicle. Now works perfectly.
I believe the replacement LCM4 was from an X5, as it through up an "inactive self leveling suspension" error code. That went away when the unit was reprogramed as is required to erase the tamper dot on the dash.
Thanks to all who contributed and to those who contributed to other forums. The information was invaluable.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: