Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

89 535i Heater Core

Has Any One Replaced A Core In This Car If So Let Me Know About What To Expect Thanks......
Old 12-25-2007, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, I replaced mine a few years back. Be prepared to tear literally everything out of the car!!! Seriously, console, glovebox, both front seats to give you more room, and then you have a maze of wires etc.. to get tothe heater box. I honestly remember spending 8 hours taking it all apart filming as I went with a camcorder, then laying all parts in order out on the garage floor next to the car.
The core went bad at one of the seams where the aluminum meets the plastic top panel. I also replaced the plastic pipes that connect the core to the pipes in the firewall. It all went back together smoothly, no leaks and a complete success. By the way, I flushed and cleaned the heater box out to get all of the old dry coolant out and that eliminated the coolant smell in the car. The Bentley manual was a tremendous help.

Putting it back together took about 4 hours.
I then drove the car for a year and then sold it to someone who promptlly totalled it. I found it in the wrecking yard and yanked out the new core and pipes just for grins and still have them sitting in my attic. It's amazing though, at the wrecking yard, it only took me 20 minutes to remove the core along
with the pipes.

Good Luck!!!
John
07 BMW 530i
86 Mercedes 300sdl
85 Mercedes 380se
67 VW Beetle
Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: