Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

E39 - BMW 2000 528i Wagon - A/C Not Working.

Air conditioner stopped working. I have searched but no solution. It worked fine and then quit abruptly. The front of compressor will not engage. Blower is working fine and light is on when snowflake button is pressed. Fuse in fuse box is ok.

Unable to find any information about a relay for this vehicle? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - take a look at the links below to an earlier thread where this is discussed. Hope it helps you a bit.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824127

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501057
Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check your Freon level. If there's not Freon in the system, the compressor will not engage.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies. I paid a mechanic to diagnose and he told me it's the computer or ECU. I think I'll pull it out and send it to one of the repair places.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ECU was repaired and sent back to me. The a/c signal processor was replaced on the board but I have no indication if this was in fact defective. The mechanic that provided diagnosis is reputable and he told me that he swapped with a known good ECU and certain that this is the problem. The compressor is not kicking on...any advice or assistance is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The aux fan is working. If I let the car run long enough then it kicks on. I also tried the "click" test. I ran a live wire directly to the compressor and it clicks. I would not object to throwing another part at it if anyone has any ideas?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I also started the car and ran a live wire directly to the compressor. The clutch fan spins when I do this.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sent the ECU in twice and told that all is good. Another mechanic suggested the pressure switch and I purchased a replacement. Does anyone know for sure if we have a valve here? I'd like tor replace it myself without having to pay someone to draw out the freon.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ECU was sent for repair and no. Sent ECU back again and they confirmed that the A/C component is operational. Checked the two fuses in dash fuse box for power again. Opened system and replaced pressure sensor. Pressure sensor wire has power. The wire that goes to the compressor has no power. Please help.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Evaporator temperature sensor? Under dash near pedals underside. Exact location varies pre or post 03/2000. You do have freon pressure? You won't get power to compressor until it is actually triggered.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The mechanic that helped me has no experience with BMW but pulled freon out of system and then replaced pressure sensor. He then put a vacuum on the system and we added a single can of 134a. The compressor did not kick on so he did not add another can. He checked the wire to the compressor with a device he has...it's like a screwdriver with a light bulb in the handle with a probe...this did not light so no power. When I took the car home and later looked at it myself I used a meter and it shows power on the compressor wire. I believe that I set this to AMPs and not sure what the reading was...any ideas? How can I test evaporator temperature sensor?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

CPC....you could be on to something. I can't find any info about replacing this? Can this be done by reaching under the dash or does the dash need to be removed? Will this open the system? Does it interface with evaporator? Thank you for the input.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It is pre-03/2000...manufactured in 1999.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I swapped the IHKA panel today and nothing. The engine should idle up first when the snowflake button is pressed and this is not happening?

DME is good. Compressor is good. Pressure sensor is good. IHKA is good. I'll get to the evaporator sensor tomorrow. Anyway to test this before part is ordered?

Another thing, It did throw a code for AUC sensor with one scan but I see different opinion about whether this will cripple the system or not. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 07-22-2018, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneStock View Post
The mechanic that helped me has no experience with BMW but pulled freon out of system and then replaced pressure sensor. He then put a vacuum on the system and we added a single can of 134a. The compressor did not kick on so he did not add another can. He checked the wire to the compressor with a device he has...it's like a screwdriver with a light bulb in the handle with a probe...this did not light so no power. When I took the car home and later looked at it myself I used a meter and it shows power on the compressor wire. I believe that I set this to AMPs and not sure what the reading was...any ideas? How can I test evaporator temperature sensor?
You should find another one to help. That would be a tragic if he has no experience with BMW.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: