Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

BMW Roundel water pump failure??????

hi guys, i have a bmw 520i se auto tourer saloon, full service history, recently serviced, and recently done 1100 miles to and from scotland and back to cheshire in uk, runs sweet and ive had her 3 years, shes done 126k miles, yesterday i was nipping to manchester for a night out and got stuck in roadworks ugh!! didnt notice my temp guage creeping up as i usually dont have any issues wi temp on my car, needle shot up to max within seconds (had been idling for about 8 to 10 mins) as i realised there was a problem i was about to turn off the engine and investigate when there was a loud bang and steam poured out the front of the car.
i turned off the engine, pushed her off the carriageway and opened the bonnet, the top hose had blown off and water had gone everywhere, allowing it to cool, i then had a look at it, the only damage was the hose and loss of water however when turning the engine back on i could hear a diff noise coming from underneath the engine, theres no damage to radiator or fans, all seems normal, but no water going to cool the engine, im assuming its water pump failure and/or therrmostat, is this correct and is it expensive to fix????
Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

The first thing to do is a compression check to make sure you didnt blow the head gasket. This does sound like a water pump failure. What year is your car?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hi jay heres whats happened since can u advise???

firstly, it was the thermostat that blew, it damaged the housing, so replaced thermostat and housing, flushed and bled system, so far so good, water pump checked, i have metal impeller oem part, working fine, head checked and no water ingress and water jacket intact, was lucky, the thermo blew "outwards" rather than in.

secondly, got the car running last friday, decided to road test, went well for 1st 18 miles to work, on return journey 8 hours later, and not in busy traffic the temp guage was behaving oddly, went from midway to 3/4 v quickly, checked viscous fan, all working, but this was happening at 60mph, go down to 40mph and it goes back to the centre, tried again on motorway at 60 and again, temp guage goes wild, yet full of coolant and no leaks apparent, dropped down to 40mph and temp guage goes back to centre, put heater on 30 deg and full, wound down windows and rampped it up to 60 mph, temp guage did nothing just stayed in the centre all the way home approx 12 miles. any ideas??? im thinking blocked radiator???
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

oh by the way its a 1996/7 520ise auto. cheers
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

If you did a compression check, what were the numbers? I have never seen a thermostat fail the way you describe it. It sounds like you have a blown head gasket to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the compression check and dye test i had done at a garage, i dont know the numbers, was told the head was absoloutly fine, i did the other work myself, but only after i had the checks done, i wasnt spending good money after bad as id have got rid of the car had the head gone or changed the engine, much cheaper, the car is running fine, all i can see is perhaps air in the system and a re bleed needed or a rad failure, thermostat checks out as fine as put it in a cup of hot water to see if it opened or not, its all a ok, water pump is working fine too, heater works fine too tho did blow cold at one point but when i ramped it up to 30 deg and put it on full it became very hot very quickly.

i know its unusual for a woman to know this much about beamers but i love my car and have read up on all the e39 faults. i know all the major things this temp guage fluctuation has really got me scratching my head !!!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
In the shop at Pelican

Only thing I can think of is that you have air somewhere in the system. Dont think it's a blocked radiator. These cars are a pain to bleed too. I've had some of them sitting with the bleeder valve open for over an hour.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok thanks for your help jared back to bleeding for me then ill letcha know if it cures it .
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Try doing the bleeding with the car front on ramps or a steep driveway. Also, try blowing, with hand in a roll but palm not closed (like a tube shape, paper towel)on rad filler, into hand forcing air into the filler...air will bubble out the bleed screw.
Jon
'93 BMW 525i, 260k "the beater" Garnet
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

it too 5 bleeds to get it tickety boo, thanks for all the advice guys xxx
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I can think of is that you have air-conditioning system somewhere. Do not think this is a blocked radiator. These cars are a painful bleeding.Tera Gold I have some sitting and relief valves to open more than one hour.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: