Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 6,7,8-Series Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Plastic spirals in the radiator.

Hi,

My 2000 750i (Euro) car got really messed up after a recent coolent change by the local car resotoration garage. They use GM Red long life.

After the change it would seem that the car had air locks in it, which resulted in the car pushing most of the coolent out of the radiator cap after a 45 minute /30 mile journey.

So after the recovery man could not bleed it at the road side, it got towed back to the garage where we went through the whole process of getting the front of the car jacked up real high and 'bled' the system.

But it still was not happy and I moved from topping up with distilled water to adding in BASF G48 to try and keep the 50/50 mix 'real' - yes mixing coolent types!

So I took it to the dealership and explained what had happened and ask them to work out what was happening - head gaskets had already been mentioned by the local garage.

What the dealership found streches my limited understanding of things.

You can see the images below, this is a hard plastic non brittle material with a 10mm peak to peak measurement.

The dealership cannot identify this, and best guess is something from the structure of the radiator which has failed.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Adrian

Last edited by adrianw; 03-15-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
In the first image you can clearly see the tubes in the radiator - is that a BMW part?

Are we supposed to have "Brazed cooling fins" i.e. :

https://cat.behrhellaservice.com/bhs/public/bhs/en_GB/PKW/16/549/3815/$catalogue/105/$product/8MK%2B376%2B712-501_470/applicationSearch.xhtml?result=1552680108628&productCard=parameters

I am thinking that maybe a previous owner put a non-standard radiator in place?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
This people at www.raysons.co.uk confirmed that it is part of the internal structure of the radiator.

They are Turbulaters : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulator

The sit inside the thick tubes and mix the fluid as it flows to encorage heat disapation.

So each seven series has its own ticking bomb in the radiator which after an unkown number of heat cycles will break up...

Last edited by adrianw; 03-16-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: