Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 6,7,8-Series Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

E38 Oil Change - Making a mess.....

Hi folks -

Been working on BMW's for 35 years and am pretty good at what I do, but... recently had a situation that came up.

On my E38 (2001 740iL with 225,000 miles) -
Changed the oil and filter yesterday.
When I unscrewed the filter housing cover, the filter did not stay attached to the cover and instead when the cover was free of the housing, the oil leaked all over the housing. I had to pull up the filter to allow the oil to drain. Usually the filter stays attached with the cover and allows the oil to drain down - keeping things tidy.

I remember this happened the last time I changed the oil as well -
I have been using Hegnst filters.

I snapped the new Hegnst filter to the cover and installed to the filter housing. I then unscrewed the housing and there it happened again - the filter stayed in the housing while the cover came right out. The filter does snap onto the cover - but I think there is too much drag when the filter tries to come up compared to the grip the cover has on it...

So - Do Mahle or Bosch or Wix or... other brands work better at staying attached to the cover? I don't feel like making more messes - I may even replace the cover to see if maybe the internal clips that grab the filter are worn down...

Thoughts?
Thanks for the help

1968 Mustang GT Conv ----- 2003 Ford F-250 PSD ----- 2006 Porsche 911 (997.1) ----- 2012 Cadillac Escalade
Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: