Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 6,7,8-Series Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
2000 740iL Rusted SLS Line Replacement

This project will be an adventure into new areas for me. I have not dealt with these types of metal lines before and I am still have much to learn about these cars. So I'll be going slowly and will no doubt learn a few things the hard way.

The metal hydraulic lines that run from the pump in the front of the car to the self-leveling suspension system in the rear have corroded to the point of leaking. The task will be to free the rusted line(s) and replace them. The challenge for me is going to be getting the new lines to fit because they are not pre-bent. It will be up to me to try to match the bends of the old lines. Which means the old lines have to come out without changing the current bends.

After removing a couple of covers, here is what I am looking at:

'00 740iL (Sport) - Wife's
'00 Suburban 2500 - Family Truckster

Last edited by DaddyGlenn; 09-08-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Dwight Eisenhower once said, "Planning is essential. Plans are worthless."

My plan had been to replace only the leaking line now. Then replace others as time permitted. After further investigation of the task ahead, I believe my "plan" may indeed be, as Gen. Eisenhower warned, worthless.

Looking at where the leaking line runs and connects to the valve at the rear of the car, I am fairly certain, any effort to free the leaking line will create leaks elsewhere in the system. I may have to go "all in" on this one. Have a look:

The valve

The leaking line is the connection on the right.

And I will have to navigate this area too.

I've got some errands to run in the morning. Then I will inventory the parts I have on hand to make sure I have what I need to replace everything that is at risk. Order whatever I am missing and dive in.

But wait, there's more! I have to have this back on the road by this time next week. And there is a full week of work in between now and then.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Well, that was not fun, not at all.

To do this job "correctly", the entire rear end has to come out, differential, suspension, carrier, all of it. But most of us wouldn't do that. I didn't.

Spending a couple hours freeing up all the parts to be replaced was a dirty, frustrating task. Rust and dirt falling in your eyes and all over your face while trying to loosen fittings that have been rusted in place took is no fun. To get them free took soaking in PB Blaster, vise grips and careful counter holding. Eventually, it all came free. But getting the lines out was another thing. You can't do it without bending the lines and messing up the shape, even when being very careful.

You also have to deal with the rear fender liner. It cannot be removed, so it has to be peeled back to gain access.

So, once the lines are out, I did my best to restore them to their original shape. Not quite there in this picture.

Then working from one end toward the other, carefully trying to match the bends was the next challenge. Lots of odd angles and differing lengths. Then realizing that all that work has to be somewhat destroyed to get the line on the car. There is no other way. That is unless you have the suspension, carrier, etc. removed.

I took a wire brush to the valve then gave it a coat of paint before reassembly.

Before

After

Then, as they say, installation is the reverse of removal.

So far, no leaks.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: