Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Performance Modifications > BMW Forced Induction

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question gains on a 94 540i

I'm feeling the need for some more power, and i've heard many good and bad things about forced induction. What kind of gains could i potentially see from adding a supercharger or a (or multiple) turbochargers? (assuming perhaps a 7-9 boost) Also, what kind of reliability issues could i run into? it's my daily driver, so i kinda need it to work reliably. As it stands, the car itself has only had one reason to go to the shop, outside of maintinance, and that was to replace the water pump at 120k. Also, i have done most of the small stuff, like changing the air filter, changing chips, aftermarket exhaust, so aside form completely changing out the top half of the engine, (and therefore essentially making it into an M-engine) i'm not quite sure what else there is to do to get some more power. Thanks.
<proceeds to rain>
1994 540i modded to heck
1973 3.0 CS converted to 3.5L/Motronic/5 speed
Old 03-12-2004, 08:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy semple
540I

I have a 98 540 and am thinking of a high flow exhaust. Any recomendations.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pelican Parts Got Boost?

Supercharges produce the greatest amount of bolt-on HP today. Understanding that you’re working on your daily driver I would recommend going with a “low” boost for what you driving condition allow.

I would expect around 30% increase in power for a moderate level of boost.

Forced induction has always been a good method of producing more HP but just as most other modifications it will definitely take it’s toll on the longevity of your engine. I would keep it around 6-8 lbs max and I would have it installed by someone with experience. You’ll be able to sleep at night knowing that your car will start in the morning……

Let us know what you decide.

-Eli

Old 10-29-2004, 10:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

30% is a good kick in the pants. superchargers are probably better if you don't want to have as much problems and think you would be satisfied with 30% more only.
if you think you may want more power on weekends, or simply make big big power, go turbo. you will be able to make 500hp-600hp with a well tuned turbo system on a 540. but when you don't need it simply turn the boost down on your controller.
so to recap, a turbo system will have more adjustment to power and performance, plus be able to make more power, in most cases.
supercharger will be less troublesome but is usually not as tuneable.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: